Sunday, February 04, 2007

AT LEISURE

Spurs well earned

YVONNE BOHWONGPRASERT

It has taken Chatchawan Buranatham 40 years to work his way up - from head concierge to general manager of Century Park Hotel. And since there aren't many Thais in this league, his appointment did raise a few eyebrows.

To be equal to the task, he took a crash course in German and perfected his English with the result that these days he feels at ease dealing with foreign guests, while Thai, his native tongue, comes handy when dealing with his staff. The good thing being a Thai is his ability to conduct himself in a way that fits the local protocol.

For example he said, if required to prostrate before a visiting dignitary, he would do it without qualms, in a manner that comes to him as naturally, just like shaking hands in the West. To him, a bow or handshake comes instinctively, something learned and perfected from his travels overseas.

How much impact was your travelling experiences had on you?

I would say a whole lot. Being in the hospitality business four decades gave me the opportunity to travel to various countries, which in turn taught me a lot about cultural sensitivities.

Mine is a close-knit family and we spend a lot of our leisure vacationing here and overseas. We enjoy nature and the sea. Of late, we have found Australia a nice place to visit, not just because it is nearer Europe and the US, but it has so much to offer in terms of culture and natural wonders.

Tell us about your most adventurous trip.

Our trip last year to the Grand Canyon, the US, was adventurous and highly memorable. The view was just awe-inspiring. We had a great time exploring the roads, hiking mountain trails and riding the currents of the choppy Colorado River.

How has travelling helped you understand cultural sensitivities?

A whole lot. From my sojourns overseas for leisure as well as business, I have found that all cultures are special in their own right. People can understand more about cultural sensitivities when they are directly exposed to them. When I was working in the departmentsales, I had the opportunity to visit the Middle East. The experience taught me so much about lifestyle and traditions of the people there; it helped me to grow as a person.

How has the hotel business evolved since you began in 1966?

Trends have changed drastically since. Tourists nowadays have become more independent and expect hotels to offer them much more than just a place to sleep. The hardware in most hotels is very much the same, so it's the software, or our staff, that play a great role today. Today's cutting-edge technology and retro interior allow hotels to offer guests new experiences.

The hospitality sector has become exceptionally cut-throat, largely due to sharp increase in hotels.

Bombs on New Year's eve rattled the tourism industry, but luckily the impact on room occupancy has been minimal.

What has helped you to stay afloat in a fiercely competitive industry?

In retrospect, I would say loyalty, perseverance and discipline have helped me weather obstacles through the years. I am a person who believes in leading by example. The staff needs a good role model. It is also vital to have a standpoint. For example, I won't dump room prices no matter what happens. I would however add more benefits for the guest, but not compromise in this area.

What qualities do you look for in your staff?

Due to years of experience in recruiting them, I have become a good judge. So when I interview applicants I can find out whether they are passionate about working in the hospitality business. I can't emphasise enough the need for a service mind because that is the foundation of a successful hotel. The wai and smile should come automatically.

Who would you credit your success to?

Working in a hotel is like being married to the job. It requires hours of dedication with little time for family and friends. This is why I would say my wife and kids have been a pillar of strength for me. I owe my success to them.

What continues to inspire you after 40 years in the hotel business ?

I draw my inspiration from the passion I have for this industry. The love for my job makes me more tolerant when I face a difficult situation. Finding happiness in making others happy is also something that continues to drive me to this day.

What is the most challenging aspect of your work? Promoting brand awareness. While I believe in being flexible, I strive to train my staff on the need to be punctual, honest and courteous with everyone. I tell them that if they can master these virtues, they can survive in this industry, just as I have.

What makes Century Park popular with leisure travellers?

Century Park's central location, while our friendly and attentive staff are the reason for the number of repeat guests we receive year after year. We try to do our best for guests. And they would like our shuttle bus service we plan to operate between the new airport and Makkasan railway station.

If you wish to contact the writer, send an email to yvonneb@bangkokpost.co.th

Bangkok Post
Friday February 02, 2007

No comments: