Thursday, December 20, 2007

An outsider looking in

Horizons News - Thursday December 20, 2007

AT LEISURE

An outsider looking in

YVONNE BOHWONGPRASERT

Education expert Rose Marie Wanchupela has lived in Thailand close to half a century and finds beauty of the land and people, the excitement and challenges and agreeable lifestyle makes foreigners feel that the nation provides good choices for their children's education and health care.

Rose Marie - executive director of Rose Marie Academy and owner of Easan Fabrics - explains her personal fascination with Thailand: "What I like most are the cultural ambience, the enthusiasm and decorum of the Thai people. One of the biggest challenges I have faced is living through floods and occasionally extreme heat."

Having achieved so much in life, what has been your biggest accomplishment?

Yes, I have achieved but I have also failed. My biggest accomplishment is being able to accept myself as I am in spite of my shortcomings. On a more practical note, the building of a brand new facility for Rose Marie Academy and the successful marketing of Isan fabrics.

Tell us about your experience of working in the Peace Corps, and how different life would have been if you'd been assigned to India, which was your first choice?

The Peace Corps was the brainchild of John F. Kennedy whom I met when he was still a senator during a short university course I took in Washington. Being in the Peace Corp Group 1 to Thailand afforded me the opportunity to live and teach in Asia for which I will always be grateful.

I taught English at teacher training colleges in Songkhla and Korat. I am proud that I could adjust to a very different academic environment than what I had been used to. Had I been assigned to India, I probably would have taken my interest in textiles much further as the Indian government is so serious about its cottage industry. It has a whole ministry devoted just to textiles!

What made you decide to start your own fabric business, and what have been the biggest challenges so far?

When I joined the Peace Corps I thought I would be assigned to work in a remote village on a hands-on project. Instead, I was assigned to provincial capitals as a teacher. After I married, my husband's mother and father introduced me to villages where local artisans produced exquisite hand-woven fabrics.

I soon realised that I could fulfil several of my dreams by being involved with textiles: an outlet at last for the fine artist in me which I thought did not exist, an opportunity to work in the villages and forge a common bond with my in-laws, and follow into my own father's footsteps as a self-employed entrepreneur.

My father died while I was still in the Peace Corps. Had he lived, he would have given me valuable advice and encouragement. The biggest challenges I have faced are marketing our fabrics and controlling cash flow.

Are the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) and other state agencies doing enough to improve the standards and rights of Isan weavers?

I believe TAT has been doing a commendable job - however, I am disappointed by the lack of support the government gives to our handweavers throughout the country, not just in the Northeast. The Ministry of Industry allocates very little of its budget and personnel to support this remarkable cottage industry.

We are fortunate to be one of the few countries in the world which still has such a large number of highly skilled handweavers. We must thank HM the Queen for being the supreme patron of this art form. Without her keen interest and support, I dread to think what state we would be in now.

I commend the former government for the OTOP (one tambon, one product) scheme and would implore the next government to keep it going. We must give credit where it is due.

How can we use this as a tourism tool to highlight the northeastern region?

We have outstanding scholars who are well-versed in the culture of the northeastern people such as acharn Srisakra Vallibhotama who could be consulted on various matters. With careful, well thought out plans and understanding, the richness of the Northeast could be sustained and exposed to Thais and foreigners alike.

From personal experience what advice would you give people interested in starting their own hand-woven fabrics business?

I would advise them to find trustworthy partners who share the same values and visions and who could contribute expertise in different areas as it is a difficult business to develop alone.

What is your vacationing style, and how do you spend a typical day on vacation?

I like to travel alone and then meet up for a time with family and friends. When I go to a new area, I like to walk about, read newspapers and savour the atmosphere.

Where are your three favourite vacationing spots in Thailand and the US, and what makes them so special?

In Thailand, Kalasin for music, Nan for natural and man-made beauty, and Krabi for sea and hills. In the United States, Seattle for its clarity and freshness, rural Pennsylvania for its fields and orchards, the Thousand Islands area of upstate New York, and Canada for the clear water of the St. Lawrence River, the wind and wildlife.

What is the best way to tackle culture shock in your opinion?

Keep in your mind that it will pass, and that it is a natural phenomenon. Engage in activities that can bring you comfort such as attending a religious service, visiting a museum or library, singing or playing an instrument and exercising. Another way is to seek the company of others with interests similar to your own.

If you wish to contact the writer, email yvonneb@bangkokpost.co.th

Bangkok Post

No comments: