Friday, January 11, 2008

Ousted PM explains why his wife returns home

Ousted PM explains why his wife returns home

Ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra issued a statement, detailing the reasons behind his wife's decision to return home to face corruption charges on Tuesday.

His statement was released via the website; truethaksin.com. The following is unofficial translation of Thaksin's statement.

1. In light of the grief of every Thai citizen due to the loss of the beloved princess, it is imperative for the Shinawatra and Damapong family members to show their loyalty, as Thai citizens, to the Monarch and the Royal Family.

Khunying Pojaman Shinawatra decides to return to Thailand in order to pay her last respects to HRH Princess Galyani Vadhana Krom Luang Naradhiwas Rajanagarindra representing me and Shinawatra and Damapong families.

2. The return of Khuying Pojaman is meant for her surrender to the courts of justice willingly and voluntarily to fight charges and prove her innocence in accordance with the judicial proceedings and the rule of law. Our family has lodged the bail application with bond as specified by the law and I and my family have expected kindness from the courts.

I reaffirm that Khunying Pojaman and I are ready to fight every case and all charges in order to prove our family's innocence. I and my family have the confidence in the justice dispensed by the judiciary.

3. As a Thai citizen, I would like to state that there is no land dispensing happiness to every Thai comparable to the homeland under the benevolence of His Majesty the King. Khunying Pojaman, in her capacity as a loyal subject, wishes to spend her life in Thailand in peace with her family under the reign of His Majesty.

As a mother, Khunying Pojaman has her love and caring to share with her children. Wishing to reunite with her children, she returns to Thailand in order to be close to them and the family.

I have always reaffirmed that it is my highest hope to return and spend my life with my family under the benevolence of His Majesty. I have said repeatedly that I am ready to prove my innocence and fight the charges in accordance with the judicial proceedings in Thailand. I do not want to be a cause of conflict among fellow Thai citizens which can exacerbate the problems facing our country.

I pledge before every fellow citizen that I will return to Thailand at an opportune time to prove my innocence and that of my family's in accordance with the judicial proceedings and the rule of law.

I hereby state for the correct understanding of all Thai citizens.

Thaksin Shinawatra

No comments: